Join in!

Attend the Kick-off Celebration with Grace Lin on Saturday, May 14, 2011 from 12:00 - 3:00 at the RI State House!
Join a discussion group or program at your local public library, June - August 2011!


Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Chat with Kate Klise, part 8

This interview was conducted by Emily Brown, Children's Librarian at the Mt. Pleasant Library in Providence, for the 2010 summer reading booklet.  

Question (Emily Brown): Can you tell me how and why you wrote Regarding the Fountain?

Answer (Kate Klise): 
I pounded out the first draft to Regarding the Fountain in one week when I was stranded in my little valley due to an ice storm. I didn't have anything to eat in the house other than microwave popcorn, Diet Coke, and coffee. I also had a newspaper, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. And it was in that paper that I read an article about two guys who designed fountains for a living. I wrote the first draft of Regarding the Fountain that week and faxed it to Sarah [Kate's sister, the illustrator] in the middle of the night. She didn't appreciate that part, but she was glad she picked the pages up off the floor as they fell from the fax machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment