Join in!

Attend the Kick-off Celebration with Grace Lin on Saturday, May 14, 2011 from 12:00 - 3:00 at the RI State House!
Join a discussion group or program at your local public library, June - August 2011!


Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A Chat with Kate Klise, part 10

This interview was conducted by Emily Brown, Children's Librarian at the Mt. Pleasant Library in Providence, for the 2010 summer reading booklet.  

Question (Emily Brown): What advice can you give kids who want to become writers?
  Answer (Kate Klise):  Write! Write anything that appeals to you, whether it's a novel, a screenplay, a joke book, an opera, a video game. Just write. And if you can't think of anything to write, pick somebody you like, and write one letter to him or her every week for a year. This was the deal my mom made with me, my four sisters, and my brother. She and my dad paid for our college education. The only thing we had to do in exchange was write one letter home every week for all four years. I leaned a lot in college. But I learned just as much - maybe even more - by writing those letters home every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment